HPC in Europe and HLST
# HPC in Europe and HLST
## 강갑석 박사 (Max-Planck Institute for Plasma Physics)
### 2018년 6월 26일(화), 11:00
### 판교 스타트업캠퍼스 1동 세미나실 2
- 초록 :
High Performance Computing (HPC) previously the domain of theoretical scientists and computer and software developers is becoming ever more important as a research tool in many surprising areas. The use of HPC in modeling complex physical phenomena such as weather, fluid dynamics, molecular interactions, astronomical calculations and engineering design is well know to researchers in those fields. HPC is also now being used in industry to improve products, reduce production costs and decrease the time it takes to develop new products. As our ability to collect Big Data increases the need to be able to analyse the data also increases, this is an area HPC can be a most useful tool. More recently HPC is being used by researchers in social media, semantics, geology, archeology, materials, urban planning, graphics, genomics, brain imaging, economics, game design and even music.
The infrastructure and usage HPC in the Europe had underdeveloped in comparison with USA. From 2009, the investments on HPC of Europe expecially Germany have been expanded. The investments have included in the infrastructure and expand the usage through supporting scientists and training new researchers. The High Level Support Team (HLST) in the EUROFusion project in the Horizon2020 framework was consisted to support developing Fusion simulation codes.
In this talk, I present the current status and plan of future investment of the HPC in Europe. I also talk about my experiences as a member of HLST.
![강갑석 박사가 세미나를 하고 있다.](/file/a32d4f27764b4bcd80385f55d94f31b6.jpg)
- 강갑석 박사는 2009년부터 현재까지 독일 Max-Planck Institute for Plasma Physics의 HLST에서 핵심연구원으로 재직중이다.
- Parallelise codes using e.g. OpenMP and/or MPI standards for massively parallel computers
- Improve the performance of existing parallel codes both at the single node and inter node levels
- Support the transfer of codes to new HPC architectures
- Choose and adapt algorithms and mathematical library routines to improve applications for the targeted HPC
- Give feedback to the community based on experience gained from specific project work
- Provide guidance for young scientists on available training activities in HPC and towards upcoming new architectures
- Provide consultancy to scientists within the Research Units working on HPC
- Exploit developments made by the WPCD, especially in the field of standards, graphical user interfaces, common data bases and parallel visualization, for the benefit of the IFERC-CSC users.
- Work flows developing simulation codes
![(Ploblem description) Idealization → (Concetual model) Quantification → (Mathematical model) Discretization → (Algorithmic model) Implementation → (HPC model) Data Assimilation → (Simulation) Data Analysis → (Experiment) Design, Control, Optimization](/file/8f01916d928f4d3f9cca1ec2181c89a6.jpg)